You would never know that this pumpkin spiced honey cake is gluten-free. With it’s fall flavors and moist consistency, this cake is a must-have this autumn!
A simple cake batter is made using the essentials plus honey, pumpkin pie spice, and pumpkin puree. Gluten-free all-purpose flour is substituted for traditional all-purpose flour. After it is baked to perfection in a hot oven, it cools and is then topped with a super addicting traditional cream cheese frosting. This cake is the perfect way to celebrate Thanksgiving or the holiday season!
Let’s celebrate Sunday with cake shall we? I know, I have been on a total pumpkin spice kick lately. I just can’t help myself. Everywhere I turn, houses are glittered with pumpkins and corn stalks, and the supermarket aisles are loaded with fall flavors. It would be a sin to not be celebrating all things pumpkin and pumpkin spice!
Now you guys know I don’t bake cakes very often. So for me to bake a cake AND have it be gluten-free is kind of a big deal, and you guys have no idea how many times I made this cake in order to perfect it. Seriously you guys, it just kept sinking. Usually when I am recipe testing and it doesn’t work the first time, I get super impatient and never make it again. I am super stubborn that way, and I’m not very patient…two ingredients that don’t make for the best baker in the world.
Case in point…I just don’t bake very often.
Today, however, I have made an exception, and it’s because I was so obsessed with the taste of this cake the first time I made it, that I just HAD to make it work…and work it did. I’m so happy it did.
This cake is one you have to make this holiday season. I don’t care if it’s for Thanksgiving or the holidays, you have to make it. It pairs so perfectly with a spiced or pumpkin ale. The recipe is below! Enjoy the rest of your weekends friends! I’ll talk to you tomorrow! xoxo
P.S. Don’t feel obligated to decorate your cake with fresh dill. HA. It actually works. I know it’s weird, but it works. I understand being hesitant, so decorate it however you please.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spiced Honey Cake
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Pumpkin Spiced Honey Cake
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup whole milk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces room temperature cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream more as needed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9" springform pan with nonstick canola oil spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, with paddle attachment fixed, add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, honey, and vegetable oil. Mix on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg and mix to combine. With the mixer running on low speed, add the orange juice and milk. Continue mixing on low until fully incorporated. With the mixer still running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Continue to mix until the batter comes together and is smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until firm around the edges. Remove from heat and let cool in the pan for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, release the cake from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare your cream cheese frosting. In the bowl of your stand mixer, with paddle attachment fixed, combine the cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the confectioner's sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the heavy cream, with the mixer running on low.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting on the cooled cake. Serve or cover and refrigerate for about a day. Enjoy!