This sausage polenta breakfast bake is a breakfast or brunch recipe that is both simple and delicious!
A simple mixture of polenta and sauteed sausage, shallot, and mushrooms is poured into a large baking dish. It bakes until set and is then topped with 6 eggs. After it bakes for a second time, the result is a decadent, yet simple breakfast recipe that just about anyone will adore! Sprinkle with cracked black pepper and fresh cilantro for some added flavor!
Good morning, friends! I hope all of you are having a fabulous weekend and have really started the whole process for Thanksgiving…you know…the shopping, the prepping, the planning. It’s really an entire week’s project. I know that I have been planning for basically decades. This year I am spending the holiday with family in NY. It’s always a good time to come back east and visit, even IF the humidity is doing wonders on my hair. ;)
Let’s cut to the chase today. I know everyone has very important things to do on this beautiful Sunday. This recipe is one of my favorite breakfast recipes. You guys probably already know about my obsession with polenta. There is this buckwheat version that I basically make weekly. There is this baked polenta with classic chicken parmesan that well…do I even need to explain that recipe? I mean come on…polenta and chicken parmesan? How could that be bad?!
I have yet to post a breakfast polenta though, and there is one thing for certain…eggs and polenta are like a match made in heaven. This recipe is one you have to add to your breakfast or brunch menus sometime soon! Hey, it would even make the PERFECT Thanksgiving breakfast option!
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe. It’s one of my favorites! Pair it with a Saison and enjoy the rest of your weekends! xo
Sausage Polenta Breakfast Bake
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4 cup polenta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese I used a combination of mozzarella and Monterey jack
- 1/2 pound loose sweet Italian sausage
- 8 ounces sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 5-6 eggs
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- To a large saucepan, add the broth and milk. Bring to a simmer, and stir in the polenta. Reduce the heat and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the polenta is cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the butter and cheese. Stir until melted. Set aside.
- To a large saute pan, add the sausage. Cook until just browned on the outside, and add the mushrooms and shallot. Cook until the veggies are tender and the sausage is no longer pink. Add the polenta mixture to the pan with the sausage and mushroom mixture. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a large baking dish and cover. Place in the refrigerator for about and 2 hours to chill.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Place the polenta, covered, in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from heat. Reduce heat on the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Crack the eggs on top of the polenta. Sometimes, it's easier to crack the eggs into a bowl first to make sure they are not broken and you get out any unwanted shell pieces. Bake, uncovered, until the eggs are set, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with black pepper and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!