Almond chicken and sweet potato curry is a wholesome and healthy dinner recipe that’s quick, simple and ready in under an hour!
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almondmilk.
It’s shocking how much flavor can be created in 40 minutes, but this curry is proof of that! The mixture of chicken and sweet potato adds the perfect balance of texture and flavor, while Almond Breeze’s Almondmilk Coconutmilk blend adds new dimension that you wouldn’t otherwise find in a traditional Thai curry. This recipe is a must-make as you kick-start those New Year’s resolutions!
I don’t know about you guys, but I have an extremely difficult time staying on track when it comes to eating wholesome and nutritious meals. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner, I find that quick and simple is always the best option. The problem with “simple and quick” is that it doesn’t always translate into delicious and flavorful. Normally, when you want some insane depth of flavor you need to braise meat for 6 hours or have soup simmer for days on end. I have found a simple solution to this problem, and it comes in the form of curry dishes.
I think it was about 5 years ago when I finally started making my favorite Thai dishes at home. Zach and I eat a lot of Thai food. Surprisingly, our itty-bitty little town has two AMAZING Thai restaurants. I swear we order from one of these two restaurants at least once a week, but there is nothing like making your own. What is so great about curry dishes is that they don’t take forever to make. Curry paste already has a ton of flavor and it doesn’t take long to reach the depth of deliciousness that you crave in a comforting meal.
As we continue trying to stick with those New Year’s resolutions, this almond chicken and sweet potato curry is a recipe that needs to be added to the list. It’s wholesome, nutritious and healthy, yet comforting, flavorful and hearty. You don’t usually find all of those adjectives wrapped into one, but this curry is proof that you can have comfort and nutrition mingled into one cohesive dish.
If you are looking for the perfect weeknight meal, this almond chicken and sweet potato curry is it. Add it to your menu plans this week!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons Panang or mild red curry paste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste or minced ginger
- 22 ounces Almond Breeze Almondmilk Coconutmilk Blend
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon sriracha chili sauce
- salt and black pepper to taste
- white or brown rice for serving
- Garnish: sliced almonds finely chopped cilantro, lime wedges
- To a deep skillet, add the coconut oil. Heat over medium heat until hot. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the curry paste and cook for about a minute until darker in color and fragrant. Add the chicken strips and cook, flipping every 2-3 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. With a pair of tongs, remove the chicken from the pan and transfer to a plate. Leave the pan over medium heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of curry.
- To the pan, add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until veggies are tender, about 6 minutes. Slowly whisk in 1/2 of the almond coconut milk (11 ounces). In a small bowl whisk together the remaining 11 ounces of milk and cornstarch until the cornstarch has dissolved. Now whisk that blend into the pan. Stir in the honey, lime juice and fish sauce. Add the potatoes and bring the curry to a heavy simmer. Continue to simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the chicken back to the curry. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and stir in the sriracha chili sauce. You may add more if the curry is still not spicy enough for you. Keep the curry warm on the stove until you are ready to serve.
- Serve this almond chicken and sweet potato curry over a bed of rice and garnished with sliced almonds, cilantro and lime wedges. Enjoy!