Lighter pan-fried chicken breast with cherry and arugula salad is the perfect weeknight meal that is light, nutritious, and delicious!
I think it was a few posts back that I shared with you guys how even though I tend to share some not-so-healthy recipes on this blog, I tend to maintain a pretty healthy lifestyle beyond the blog. Today I decided to throw you a curve ball and actually share one of my favorite dinner recipes that isn’t terrible for you!
This pan-fried chicken breast with cherry and arugula salad has been my go-to as of late. I love a crispy chicken breast, so while this chicken is still pan-fried, it uses the perfect ingredients if you are trying to work towards a healthier lifestyle. Ditch the pasta on this one. Serving this chicken with a simple salad can be just as satisfying and incorporating fun and inspiring ingredients can make the transition to healthier living that much easier!
Cherries are the wow factor in this recipe. They really add a sweet tartness that is hard to find in dinner recipes. They add a pop of brightness this time of year and don’t worry if cherries aren’t quite in season. I find that frozen cherries are one of the best frozen fruits you can buy. Just make sure they are pitted to make your life easier!
Beer I certainly do not pair with sours very often. There are a million reasons for this. First of all, sours can generally be very sour. They take away from anything you decide to pair with it. Although they are one of my favorite styles of beer, they can definitely be too much when it comes to food and beer pairings. When going to choose the brew for this pairing choose something that’s sour, but not overdone. A kriek does well for this type of pairing, and a lambic would also work. The cherries are one of the few foods that pair so well with sours, so if you want to try out the two together, this would be the time to do it!
Lighter Pan-Fried Chicken Breast with Cherry and Arugula Salad
- 1 tbsp oil sunflower, EVOO, etc.
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg whisked with 1 tbsp of water
- 1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs (GF breadcrumbs may be substituted)
- 2 cup sweet cherries pitted and halved (use frozen if not in season)
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot thinly sliced
- Add the oil to a deep nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Preheat while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour, then the egg, and then the bread crumbs. Place the chicken in the hot oil and pan-fry for 5-6 minutes on each side or until brown and crispy and fully cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside on a plate that has been lined with a paper towel.
- While your chicken is cooking, prepare your salad. Whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, and shallot. Add the cherries and arugula. Toss to coat and then season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve the chicken topped with the cherry and arugula salad. Season with additional black pepper and some flaky or coarse sea salt. Enjoy immediately!