Woohoo! Happy Friday Everyone! Why do I feel like we are always on the countdown!? Oh well. It’s Friday: the best day ever! I hope you guys have some fabulous plans for this weekend! It’s supposed to be nice around here, so I think we will be spending some much needed time outdoors! We also have a big trip to Wyoming and Montana coming up, which I will get into in a minute. So this salad…the two of us were made to spend the rest of our days together. It is sooooo good, and has the most glorious green goddess dressing!
Broccoli has really grown on me over the years. I was never a huge fan, but honestly, who is when they are young? I think the only way I could possibly eat broccoli was when it was smothered in melted cheese. I still eat it this way, but let’s just keep that between us.
This salad is perfect for lunch or dinner, and even though I mentioned in the recipe below that I think it should be served warm, it’s also pretty great served cold as well…if that’s your kind of thing. I’m not keen on cold food that is supposed to be warm, BUT this salad is an exception. Salads can be warm or cold, so this makes it a-ok in my book.
This broccoli salad is loaded with all of my favorite ingredients: sweet potato, bacon, almonds, and did I mention that I am OBSESSED with ginger lately? I feel like you guys should have caught onto this by now. I’m especially obsessed with crystalized ginger. My good friend Danae (who by the way is the genius behind Recipe Runner) and I found some in the Denver area a couple of weeks ago at a local spice shop. It’s addicting, and I’ve been using it in just about everything!
You can also find it at stores like Whole Foods. They seem to always have some in stock.
So if I didn’t mention it already, Zach and I are headed to Jackson and Yellowstone next week. I am SOOOOO excited. We were just there last year, and Jackson is one of my favorite places on the planet. It’s always good to get away, but don’t worry, I have all kinds of recipes saved up for you guys while I’m away and I will be checking in often. ;)
Beer time, because you know, it’s Friday! … Who am I kidding … beer is perfect 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
Beer: Goose Island’s Lolita
Brewed By: Goose Island
Style: Belgian-Style Wild Ale
Description: I think it was just a week or so ago that I paired with Goose Island’s Gillian, well Lolita is part of the same glorious family. This was the first beer of the series we tried when we had our little beer tasting party, and it was the perfect way to start the evening off right. This beer is an ale that has been aged ON raspberries IN wine barrels. How is that for a stellar combination of extreme flavor?! I love this beer for summer, and I love it with this salad. It really highlights the delicious flavors going on in the salad: especially the ginger and dried cranberries. This beer packs a punch, but it’s not overwhelming in a way that it takes away from the dish. Lolita, I find, is the easiest of this series to find from Goose Island, so hopefully you guys can get your hands on a bottle or two!
Happy Weekend! Here’s the handy dandy recipe!
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeds and stem removed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- FOR THE BROCCOLI SALAD
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli stems
- 1 large avocado diced
- 4 slices of thick-cut bacon cooked until crisp and chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons crystalized ginger
- In the pitcher of your blender or food processor, add the shallot, cilantro, parsley, basil. yogurt, mayo, a dash of salt and pepper to taste, jalapeño, lime juice, and honey. Pulse until smooth and combined. With the blender or food processor blending on low, slowly drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil until all of it has been added. Transfer the dressing to an airtight container and place in the fridge until you are ready to use.
- Bring two large pots of salted water to a rolling boil. To one pot add the sweet potatoes and boil until just tender, but not so soft that they are mushy, approximately 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Have an ice bath ready. To the other pot add the broccoli, and boil for just 1 minute to bring out their green color. Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon and transfer immediately to the ice bath. Let cool for just a minute or so and then remove the broccoli from the ice bath to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the broccoli, sweet potato, avocado, bacon, cranberries, almonds, and crystalized ginger. Drizzle the green goddess dressing on top. Serve immediately for best results! Enjoy!