Ahhh, chocolate chip cookies…how I love you so. When it comes right down to it, sometimes you want to do away with all the “frou-frou” that comes with a crazy cookie, and just have a chocolate chip cookie. Although, I guess there is some “frou-frou” involved in this recipe, with it being pumpkiny and all. I had to throw a little bit of pizzazz in there! Who am I kidding, I love the “frou-frou,” but I really do enjoy the classics. I don’t know about you guys, and maybe I’m just totally going out on a limb here, but I love a crispy chocolate chip cookie every once in a while. I don’t know, sometimes you just want that crunch. Am I the only one that craves this? If so, I will not be offended if you tell me so.
I hope all of you have some insane plans for this weekend! Besides celebrating a good friend’s birthday tomorrow evening, it will be the usual around here:
Home projects … and a ton of them.
I don’t remember anyone telling us that even if you build a house from scratch…the exact way you want it to be built…down to the hooks in the closets…you will STILL have things to do. I mean we have lived in this house for what? Like…6 months now? … and … we are STILL putting up blinds. In fact, Zach just ran back to Home Depot in a fit of fury because the blinds don’t fit our office window and now he has to get them cut down at the store. He was not happy. Ahhh, what a day.
I think he secretly loves the little home projects I give him…even if he doesn’t say so.
I also think that because I have serious OCD when it comes to how I want things to look, doesn’t help my cause much. I’m very picky, and I think poor Zach is learning the hard way.
Next on the list? The living room…we may have that completed by the summer of 2016. Just maybe.
Thank God we have these cookies to get us through these little home projects though, and boy do they deliver in satisfactory bliss.
They are, as they sound, a chocolate chip cookie…thin and crispy and loaded with fall flavors. I feel that they are much easier to make than a traditional soft chocolate chip cookie. There is no waiting for butter to soften, etc etc etc. The thing is…you WANT them to flatten out in pancake-like form.
They are magical.
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted (vegetable shortening may be substituted)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt until combined. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, with paddle attachment fixed, mix the coconut oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth. Add the egg, pumpkin puree and milk. Mix again to combine. Add the vanilla extract and mix again.
- With mixer set on low, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix until just moistened. Do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- In 2 tablespoon-sized portions, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Make sure there are at least 2-3 inches between each cookie. They will spread.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are brown and starting to crisp.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheets. Transfer to a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Store in an airtight container for about a week. Enjoy!