These baked ham and cheese sandwiches with spicy mustard are the perfect quick lunch, game-day finger food, or dinner entree recipe!
Boar’s Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham is the start of the show and is surrounded by a layer of melty Havarti cheese and crispy bacon. These sandwiches are spread with a fantastic spicy mustard made from scratch and are baked to a melty perfection in a hot oven. These baked ham and cheese sandwiches with spicy mustard are too easy not to make! Make them next time you need a good sandwich fix!
Happy Wednesday, friends! Whew, we’re halfway there and I can practically reach out and touch the weekend! Zach and I officially move into our new home tomorrow, and let me tell you, I can not wait! It has been a long time coming and I can’t believe the time is finally here.
Now the fun begins. We get to unpack! You all know how much I LOVE to unpack. ;)
With all of the craziness going on, we have been all about easy recipes that don’t lack in flavor. We have had more sandwiches than I can count, but I’m not upset about this! I love a good sandwich, and these baked ham and cheese sandwiches are my latest obsession. Not only are these sandwiches one of my ultimate comfort foods with that melty cheese and smoky ham, but it gives me the chance to make one of my favorite homemade condiments: MUSTARD!
Don’t be afraid. Homemade mustard is easier than you think, and tastes so much better than the store-bought stuff! It’s the perfect layer of creaminess to compliment a smoky sandwich!
While these sandwiches shine all on their own, the real star of the show is Boar’s Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham. I don’t know about you guys, but I have to have a melty cheese with anything smoked; and while Zach and I LOVE to smoke our own meats, sometimes it’s much easier (and just as delicious) to pick up a good smoked deli meat!
You can really enjoy that smoky flavor with Boar’s Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham. Crafted with the finest ingredients and exceptional care, this ham is naturally smoked with imported German beechwood.
It’s so good you guys! Head over to the Boar’s Head website and enter the Boar’s Head Smoke House Rules sweepstakes, for a chance to win a gift card by sharing your own culinary rules for creating the perfect smoked recipes!
Recipe for these baked ham and cheese sandwiches with homemade spicy mustard is below! Have a wonderful day, and I’ll talk to you again soon! xo
Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches with Spicy Mustard
- 1/4 cup ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- 8 hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup spicy mustard
- 1 pound Boar's Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham
- 8 slices Havarti cheese
- 8 slices fully cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- In a heat-proof glass bowl, whisk together the ground mustard and sugar. Add the egg and whisk until creamy. Whisk in the vinegar and cayenne pepper. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Once the mixture has chilled. Bring a small pot of water to a gentle simmer. Only add a small amount of water (that reaches about an inch up the sides of the pot), so that when you go to create your double-boiler the bottom of the glass bowl doesn't touch the water. Place the glass bowl on top of the pot of simmering water. Whisk continuously for about 5-6 minutes or until the mixture is thickened substantially and takes on the consistency of your average mustard. Remove from heat and transfer to an airtight container. Seal and place in the refrigerator where it will keep for about a week.
Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, and portion out 8 large square pieces of heavy-duty foil. Set aside.
- Assemble your sandwiches by spreading the spicy mustard on each roll (both bottom and top). Evenly distribute the Boar's Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham among all 8 buns and top with Havarti cheese and crispy bacon. Brush each sandwich with melted butter. Taking each sandwich, bundle it up in each piece of foil. Make sure that the sandwich is sealed tightly.
- Place the sandwiches on a large baking sheet and place in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly and then very carefully remove the foil.
- Serve the sandwiches immediately and enjoy!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.