No Beer Pairing Today
I was always super skeptical of one pot meals. Before starting this adventure on my own, I tried a few one pot recipes and they did not come out the way I would have hoped. This was at the beginning of the one pot pasta craze, where recipe developers were still trying to perfect “the art.” The pasta would never cook to the doneness I wanted it to cook. It was either super mushy or hard as a rock. I found that one pot rice dishes were a lot easier and almost took on a “risotto-style” of rice. Once I got the process down, I never looked back. One pot meals are the way of the future!
There are a couple of things that sets apart this one pot almond chicken and rice apart from the rest. Chicken and rice can totally be a blah kind of dinner recipe. I mean it doesn’t get much more boring than chicken and rice. By adding spices and flavors into a traditional chicken and rice dish you can impart some intense flavor.
This one pot chicken and rice dish celebrates all things almond. Oh sure, it does not lack in cheesy goodness, but the almond is what sets it apart. Almond Breeze’s regular and unsweetened almondmilk is what adds all of the flavor to this dish. Instead of cooking the rice in a traditional liquid of water or chicken broth, this rice is cooked in a mixture of chicken broth and almond milk. It may sound unconventional, but it works you guys, and it’s SOOOOOOOO good!
I love this dish for a weeknight meal. It makes cleanup easy, and it is ready in an hour. Take the leap and jump on the one pot meal bandwagon! You’ll love it! I promise!
One Pot Almond Chicken and RicePrint Pin Rate
- 6-8 bone-in skin-in chicken thighs
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil more as needed
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 2 cups long grain white or brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Breeze AlmondMilk regular and unsweetened
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season the chicken thighs generously with salt and black pepper. In a large oven-proof skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs, skin-side down first and brown on both sides. Remove the chicken from the pan, leaving the pan over medium heat.
- Add more oil if needed and add the onion. Cook for about 5 minute or until tender and then add the garlic. Cook for an additional minute. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minutes, stirring frequently. Season again with salt and black pepper. Add the chicken back to the pan, and pour in the chicken broth and almond milk. Bring to a simmer and then cover.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for about 40 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed, the rice is tender, an the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan transfer it to a plate to rest. To the pan, add the cheeses and fold them into the rice. It should melt rather quickly. Transfer the chicken back to the pan. Garnish with sliced almond and fresh parsley.
- Enjoy this one pot almond chicken and rice immediately!