Grilled Chicken Burgers with Guacamole are a fun summer picnic recipe packed with bold flavors and a ton of texture! Try these grilled chicken burgers at your next BBQ, picnic, or outdoor gathering!
Very rarely do I choose poultry over beef or bison, especially when it comes to burgers. I’ve had like 1 good turkey burger in my life; and on occasion, I have had a good chicken burger. Naturally, I always gravitate toward beef of bison. Oh sure, I have my fair share of chicken during the week. It’s the perfect weeknight protein, but it wasn’t until I tried these grilled chicken burgers for the first time that my life was forever changed.
I think the key to making a good chicken burger is that you buy the best ground chicken you can find. You don’t want it to be just ground chicken breast, or else they will come out incredibly dry. You want a good mix of thigh and breast for the perfect chicken burger. With a good mix, there is no need for eggs or breadcrumbs. The next best thing to making the perfect chicken burger are all of the spices. I use a ton of spices in my chicken burgers and it really elevates them.
Aside from the actual chicken burger in this recipe, I absolutely adore the guacamole. It really adds another element of texture. One thing I learned from the first tie I made these chicken burgers is that a hearty burger bun is key. That guacamole will weight down that bottom bun and it will basically disintegrate. Try to find a good sourdough or something sturdier than your typical pre-packaged burger bun.
I hope you guys enjoy these grilled chicken burgers as much as we do! Make them at your next outdoor gathering, and pair them with a pale ale. A pale ale will do wonders with that spicy jalapeño! Enjoy!
P.S. Those curly fries you see in these photos…yeah, they are homemade, and the recipe will be on the blog Friday! Yay!
Grilled Chicken Burgers with GuacamolePrint Pin Rate
- 3 large avocados
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro divided
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 small jalapeño finely minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- pinch of cayenne
- salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 burger buns lightly toasted or gilled
- Serve with: french fries or side salad
- In a small bowl, peel and pit the avocados. Mash them until creamy. Stir in 1/4 cup of cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, lime juice, a pinch of cayenne and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir to combine, cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge while you prepare your chicken burgers.
- In a large bowl, add the ground chicken, remaining 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, ground cumin and a generous amount of salt and black pepper. Stir until thoroughly combine, and then form the chicken into 4 equal-sized patties. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Spray the burgers heavily with a nonstick spray and wipe the grill grates of your grill with oil. Preheat your grill over medium-high heat. Place your chicken burgers directly on the grill grates and grill for about 7 minutes on each side or until fully-cooked. Use a meat thermometer for accuracy. Remove from heat and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Place a layer of guacamole on each bun bottom. Place the patty on top and then add additional toppings if you wish (mayo, sour cream, lettuce, etc). Serve the grilled chicken burgers immediately with french fries or a side salad. Enjoy!
This post includes affiliate links.