Baked curly fries with mustard-BBQ dipping sauce are so easy to make at home and are the perfect side dish.
If there is one thing I can not resist in this world, it’s a batch of french fries. Seriously you guys, they are one of my favorite foods, and I have made my fair share of them. There’s just something so comforting about a crispy fry with the perfect dipping sauce, and I love them best when they are simply seasoned with the perfect sea salt and dipped in ketchup.
Although, I do love the simplicity of eating a salted fry with ketchup, I do enjoy jazzing them up once in a while, and for this recipe, I decided to break out the old spiralizer. I’m definitely that person that RARELY uses it to make zoodles, and most definitely that person that makes curly fries like ALL.THE.TIME. I am not ashamed.
What makes these curly fries so awesome is that they are just a little bit better for you than your typical french fry. Instead of frying them, they are baked. They are also seasoned with all of my favorite spices: chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne. These spices really make these baked curly fries shine. Aside from these baked curly fries being truly the best part of today’s post, the mustard-BBQ dipping sauce is definitely the next best thing. It is so creamy and mustardy. It has a hint of sweetness and also a slight tang. It’s also great on a cheeseburger!
I hope you guys enjoy these baked curly fries. I’ve been looking forward to sharing the recipe with you! Don’t forget to pair it with a pale ale. It’s the perfect summery combination!
Mustard-BBQ Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons BBQ
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
Baked Curly Fries
- 4 large russet potatoes peeled if you wish
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the mustard-BBQ sauce until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, cover, and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line two large baking sheets with foil. Spray with a non-stick spray, and set aside.
- Rinse the fries under cold water and set aside. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, chili powder, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cayenne pepper and black pepper. Add the fries to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Pour the fries onto the two baking sheets and spread them out to cover. Spray the fries with a nonstick spray and place them in the oven. Bake for about 10 minutes and then give them a toss. Bake for another 10 minutes and then give them another toss. Do this a third time, and continue to bake until the fries are crispy and slightly brown. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for just a minute. Sprinkle with more sea salt if you wish.
This post includes affiliate links.