Creamy Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta is the perfect fall family-friendly weeknight meal that highlights the subtle flavors of butternut squash! A simple sauce is made from butternut squash, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese.
Good morning and happy Wednesday everyone! It seems that I have FINALLY gotten back into the groove of things. That took much longer than I had expected it to. I did not think that it would take me over a week to recover from our trip. I have definitely experienced my fair share of jetlag, and coming back from Europe to North America tends to be a difficult transition, but this was very difficult. Sleeping for over 12 hours each night since I’ve been back has not been my idea of how I’d like to spend my time.
In addition to recovering from some serious jetlag, I came down with the most annoying head cold which I still can’t seem to shake. Oh well, at least this gives me more time at home dedicating my time to creating new recipes for you! This creamy cheesy butternut squash pasta is my latest obsession!
The most exciting thing about returning from Europe was seeing how insane my garden exploded. I have to be honest, I had my doubts. I was convinced that I would come back and everything would be rotted out and overgrown. Well it was a tad overgrown, and I swear I pulled some zucchini from the mix that were the size of my head, but everything looked amazing! The squash had taken so well, and I knew that I had to get to work incorporating it into my favorite recipes.
Creamy Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta
This creamy cheesy butternut squash pasta is one of my favorite dishes to serve during the end of summer and fall months. It is a great way to use up butternut squash if you tend to have a stockpile of it. You can jar it up and set it aside for a rainy/snowy day. It’s especially perfect on those days that you just do not feel like cooking. The bacon adds some smokiness to the sauce and adds some nice crunch. The fresh greens add some earthiness that this dish craves, and the parmesan cheese adds the perfect salty creaminess.
This creamy cheesy butternut squash pasta is a must-make this fall. Pair it with a brown ale. It will really highlight the smokiness from the bacon and earthiness from the butternut squash. I hope you guys enjoy my take on butternut squash pasta! Enjoy!
Creamy Cheesy Butternut Squash PastaPrint Pin Rate
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash fresh or frozen
- 6 strips of bacon chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 5 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped sage
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hungarian paprika
- 12 ounces fully-cooked linguine pasta
- salt and black pepper
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- Bring 1 cup of salted water in a large stockpot to a rolling boil. Add the squash and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat, add the bacon. Fry until crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate that has been lined with a paper towel and pour out any excess bacon grease from the pan.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add the squash, thyme, and sage. Stir. Stir in the chicken broth and cook for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Stir in the heavy cream and cook for an additional 2 minutes to warm up.
- Using an immersion blender or a standard blender, carefully blend the mixture until smooth and creamy. If you are using a standard blender, do this in batches, and be very careful as the mixture will be very hot. Cover the blender with a towel and hold down as you blend.
- Leaving the skillet set over medium-low heat, stir in the parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper, and paprika. Cook until the cheese has melted.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve the pasta topped with fresh arugula, sprinkled with cracked black pepper and chopped bacon. Enjoy immediately!