I am seriously such a ding dong. When I was writing up and preparing for this mushroom and spinach pappardelle pasta, I had originally wanted fresh burrata on top. It wasn’t until much after I had cooked up this pasta and photographed it, that the burrata was still sitting in the refrigerator. It was one of the saddest moments of my week. First and foremost because I’m literally obsessed with burrata and go through it like water; and second, because I really wanted slices of burrata to grace these photographs. So I would like to offer my apology for forgetting it. I know you all were oh so very worried and confused. Anywho, this spinach pappardelle pasta is one of our favorite quick dinner recipes. I’m sure you will love it too!
We eat pasta a lot around here, and I’m pretty sure Zach is obsessed with our pasta attachments. We break the things out at least once a week, and I am so not sad about this. Pasta is one of those foods I could never give up. Maybe it’s the carby goodness. Maybe it’s the comforting quality. I’m not really sure. I do know that I have to have my pasta fix at least once a week.
You certainly don’t have to make your own pappardelle, unless you really want to. Of course it does take some time. If you are using store-bought pasta, make sure you buy the good stuff. Another option may be to buy fresh pasta sheets and cut out your own pappardelle which is what I like to do when we don’t have the time to prepare fresh pasta.
Recipe for this vegetarian mushroom and spinach pappardelle pasta with white wine cream sauce is below! Pair it with a lighter beer like a pilsner and have a wonderful Thursday friends and don’t forget that burrata! ;)
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces mixed mushrooms of choice sliced or chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 5 cups baby spinach
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon flour mixed with 1 tablespoon water slurry
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta store-bought or homemade
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts lightly toasted
- fresh sliced burrata
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until caramelized and brown, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and spinach. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Cook until the spinach has wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and stir until melted. Pour in the white wine and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and stir in the slurry. Reduce the heat to a simmer and sprinkle in the crushed red pepper. Cook until thickened and reduced, about 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is reducing, bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the pappardelle pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Add the heavy cream and 1/4 cup of parmesan to the sauce and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Then, add the pappardelle pasta to the pan with the sauce and toss to combine.
- Top the pasta with additional parmesan cheese, basil, pine nuts and fresh burrata. Serve immediately and enjoy!