Chili cheese dog dip is a super easy spring or summer appetizer recipe that tastes like a chili cheese dog!
It doesn’t get much more flavorful than this dip. A simple cheese queso is swirled into a quick chili that’s flavored with chili seasoning, ground beef, and cut up all-beef hot dogs. This is an appetizer recipe that you and your guests will go crazy over!
If there’s one thing I crave on a monthly basis, it’s hot dogs. It’s kind of a scary thing to admit. I absolutely love hot dogs, and hot dogs are much different than they used to be. You can get hot dogs that aren’t so bad for you and are all-beef, all-pork, all-chicken, all-turkey…I could go on. This chili cheese dog dip is an ode to one of my all-time favorite summertime recipes: the chili cheese dog.
There’s just something about a chili cheese dog that takes me back to my childhood, and this dip contains all of those perfect memories and flavors. It’s the perfect dip to serve at a picnic, BBQ, New Year’s Eve bash, or tailgate. This means that it can be served all year round, and what’s not to love about that!
This recipe is very simple, but it does contain two very important components: a queso cheese sauce and a basic chili. The queso cheese sauce is your typical cheese sauce. An onion is sauteed in butter and then flour is whisked in to create a roux. Then you whisk in milk, cheese, and canned tomatoes with chilies. After the cheese is melty, thick and creamy, it’s ready to go! The second component (the chili) is even easier. A very basic chili is made from a base of onions and ground beef. Tomato sauce, ketchup, chili seasoning, mustard and brown sugar are whisked in to give it the ultimate chili flavor. The last part, the sliced up all-beef hot dogs, are the cherries on top of what is a fabulous party food.
I hope you guys find some special occasion to make this chili cheese dog dip this summer. It is the perfect picnic appetizer! Pair it with a brown ale and have a wonderful Wednesday! xo
Chili Cheese Dog Dip
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chiles like Rotel
- 1 tablespoon tabasco or other hot sauce
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili seasoning more or less to taste
- 20 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder more to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 all-beef hot dogs sliced into 8 equal bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- Serve with: tortilla chips carrots, and celery
- First, create the cheese portion of this dip. To a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the yellow onion and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat to low and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cheese, tomatoes with chilies, tabasco, and salt and black pepper to taste. Cover and keep warm.
- Next, create the chili portion of this dip. Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook until brown and cooked through, about 7 minutes. Stir in the chili seasoning, tomato sauce, ketchup, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir to combine and cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Stir in the hot dog pieces and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Swirl the cheese sauce into the chili, creating a swirl-like design. Alternatively, you may fold the cheese sauce completely into the chili. Garnish with fresh green onions and serve with tortilla chips, celery, and carrots. Enjoy!
This post includes affiliate links.