Garlic butter green beans with tarragon cheddar cheese sauce are the perfect simple yet delicious side dish recipe perfect for your Sunday dinner spreads.
It doesn’t get much easier, and this recipe is on the table in under 15 minutes from start to finish. Tender and bright green beans are tossed in a simple garlic butter and then drizzled with the most addicting cheddar cheese sauce that has been flavored subtly with tarragon and paprika. This is a must-make side dish for the spring months ahead!
Green beans are by far one of my favorite vegetables. They always have been. They are definitely one of the few vegetables I would eat as a child, and I think most other children would probably agree with me. I also can grow them pretty well, so Zach and I eat them basically all summer long. They are especially perfect this time of year when I think every single one of us is craving some freshness. I typically stick with the usual when it comes to green beans. I usually serve them with a pat of butter and sprinkling of flaky sea salt, but I also like to get super creative with them! From sauces to spice blends and cheese to hollandaise, the sky is the limit when you go to flavor your green beans.
These garlic butter green beans do not disappoint. They are loaded with garlicky flavor and topped with a cheddar cheese sauce that does not disappoint. I feel like the word “tarragon” scares a lot of people because of it’s anise-like quality, but the tarragon in this recipe is so subtle and really highlights the flavor of the green beans. It’s the absolute perfect compliment!
I’m going to keep things short and sweet today because if I’m being honest, I’m struggling with some writer’s block lately. I hope this recipe for vibrant garlic butter green beans makes up for my boringness! Pair this recipe with a farmhouse ale. It will really highlight the green beans’ freshness! Enjoy!
Garlic Butter Green Beans with Tarragon Cheddar Cheese Sauce
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 pound green beans ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 4 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- pinch of paprika
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon green onions chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Salt the water and have an ice bath ready (ice and water mixed in a large bowl). Add the green beans and boil for about 1 minute and 30 seconds, until bright green. Remove the green beans immediately from the pot with a slotted spoon and transfer to the ice bath. Let cool for about 30 seconds, and then immediately drain and set aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup of unsalted butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant and soft. Remove immediately from the heat and transfer to a large bowl. Add the beans to the bowl with garlic butter and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Whisk in the flour, and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Whisk in the whole milk, and allow to think for 1 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and black pepper and a pinch of paprika. Stir in the tarragon.
- Transfer the green beans to a large platter. Pour the cheese sauce on top of the garlic butter green beans and garnish with chopped green onions. Enjoy immediately!