This grilled tropical shrimp salad is a bright and fresh salad that’s perfect for your Memorial Day BBQ! Shrimp is tossed in a lovely blend of aromatic spices.
This post is sponsored by Food Should Taste Good, where I was compensated for using their products. All opinions are my own.
Cross your fingers, my friends. I think the snow may finally be gone for good, and although we live in a place where it is possible to snow in any month of the year, I think that we are smooth sailing for now. This makes me so happy. You have no idea. Now, we can enjoy the sunshine, plant our vegetable seeds, and really start enjoying all things summer-related.
What I enjoy most about summer are the picnics, barbecues, and outdoor gatherings of any shape and form. Zach and I live outside in the summer. We eat outside, drink outside, and cook outside. Obviously, the food and drink is the best part! While we are all about grilling all summer long, I love what we can come up with to pair with those grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. This grilled tropical shrimp salad is one of my favorite snacks to serve during the summer months. It is so bright, fresh, and full of spice. You also get the best of both worlds with this recipe! You get to break out the grill and you get to serve it on a tortilla chip! What’s not to love?!
With Memorial Day right around the corner, it’s time to start planning those menus, and this grilled tropical shrimp salad has to go on your list!
While I feel like this salad can be served in many different ways, my favorite way to serve it is alongside a bag or two of Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Tortilla Chips. The Multigrain Tortilla Chips contain brown rice, flax seed, sesame seed, sunflower seed, and quinoa. All of these ingredients give these chips so much flavor with the perfect crunch factor. It is that crunch that I love with an otherwise single textured dish.
Food Should Taste Good Tortilla Chips have become my favorite chips to serve with dips, cheese boards, and salads such as this grilled tropical shrimp salad. I love that I can pronounce the ingredients in their chips, and I absolutely adore all of the amazing flavors they offer. The Multigrain variety just happens to be my favorite. :)
I don’t pair with sour ales often. They are normally very difficult to pair with since they tend to overpower many styles of food. I almost never pair with them during the winter months, but I can’t get enough of them in the summer time. Sour ales pair so well with tropical flavors, such as mango, pineapple, and kiwi. They also pair perfectly with lime. So for this recipe, I decided to go the sour route. This dish has enough “umph” in flavor, that the sour ale will complement the flavors and not overpower them. When you go to choose your sour, I suggest not going with a sour ale that is mouth-puckering. Go with something a little bit subtler, but still has those sour notes. I promise you, this is one beer pairing you will remember forever! I still have dreams about it!
This grilled tropical shrimp salad is perfect for Memorial Day. It can be served warm or cold, making it perfect for a picnic. It’s full of bright and summery flavors, which I just adore this time of year. I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoyed creating it for you! Have a wonderful day!
Grilled Tropical Shrimp Salad
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper more to taste
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and stemmed, finely minced
- 2 mangoes peeled and pitted, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 large avocado peeled and pitted, diced
- 1-2 bags Food Should Taste Good™ Multigrain Tortilla Chips
- Preheat your grill over medium heat. Brush the grill grates with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Add the shrimp to the bowl, and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate for just a couple of minutes while you prepare the salsa.
- In a large bowl, toss together the tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, mango, cilantro and lime juice. Set aside.
- Once your grill is hot, place the shrimp directly on the grill grates. Alternatively, if you have skewers available, you can skewer the shrimp to hold them in place. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until pink and fully cooked through. Remove from heat and transfer the shrimp to a cutting board. Give them a light chop and add them to the bowl with the salsa. Toss to combine. place the diced avocado on top. At this point, you may gently fold in the avocado if you wish, but be careful not to mash it too much. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
- Serve this grilled tropical shrimp salad with fresh limes and Food Should Taste Good™ Multigrain Tortilla Chips! Enjoy!