Bacon cheeseburger hot dogs are the perfect examples of combining two favorite summer recipes into one!
Compensation for this post was provided by Cobblestone Bread Co.™ and Big Green Egg® via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Cobblestone Bread Co.™, Big Green Egg®, or AOL.
I think it should come as no surprise that Zach and I are basically OBSESSED with hot dogs. We are lucky enough to live in a town that has an amazing butcher who produces the most amazing all-beef hot dogs. We prepare them all the time and in so many amazing ways. I think that’s why I love hot dogs so much. The best hot dogs go above and beyond a drizzle of ketchup and mustard. Hot dogs are the perfect blank slate. You can top them with just about anything!
I think that these bacon cheeseburger hot dogs are one of my favorite styles to date. I got the idea from my Bacon Cheeseburger Potato Skins. As I was thinking of a new way to amp up my favorite hot dogs, this potato skin recipe came straight to mind. The result?! … absolute summertime perfection!
I think what also makes hot dogs so perfect for summertime is the idea of lounging outside with my best friends, the grill fired up in the corner, and a cold beer in hand. These are the best days. Don’t you think? I would be perfectly content just spending each and every summer evening hanging out in the backyard, especially after the crazy winter that we’ve had!
When it comes to grilling up the perfect hot dog, I always look no further than the perfect charcoal grill. There’s just something about charcoal. I think it’s that charred taste that it gives to the best meats, including these hot dogs. Once Zach and I started using a charcoal grill, we hardly ever pulled out the gas grill.
When I found out that we would be receiving the Big Green Egg®, I think I almost fainted. Zach and I have wanted a Big Green Egg® for what feels like forever. Many of our closest friends own them, and it’s just one of those grills that you truly aspire to have. This is especially true if you are a grilling machine. This grill is completely ceramic you guys, which is perfect for cooking and grilling. Ceramic is an amazing heat insulator, making your grilling experience that much more efficient and exciting. It’s also the most adorable thing ever. Don’t you think?! My sister likes to call it the “big avocado.” ;)
The perfect hot dog wouldn’t be complete without the perfect toppings and the perfect vessel. When it comes to choosing your hot dog roll, it all comes down to flavor and resiliency. You definitely don’t want a hot dog roll that falls apart, especially when they are topped with a bacon cheeseburger mixture. These hot dogs are heavy, extremely heavy, and Cobblestone Bread Co.™ Spud Dogs are perfect for holding everything together. Zach and I tend to gravitate towards potato rolls when it comes to hot dogs and hamburgers. They hold up so much better and have a ton more flavor!
I hope you guys are as much in love with these bacon cheeseburger hot dogs as we are. I swear, we have eaten them at least 4 times this spring, and will continue to prepare them all summer long! Enjoy!
Bacon Cheeseburger Hot Dogs
Servings:8 hot dogs
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 6 strips of bacon diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese divided
- salt and black pepper
White Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- pinch of cayenne
- salt and black pepper
Bacon Cheeseburger Hot Dogs
- 8 good-quality all-beef hot dogs
- 8 Cobblestone Bread Co.™ Spud Dogs potato hot dog rolls
- Garnishes: drizzle of ketchup drizzle of mustard, chopped fresh parsley
- Being by preparing your cheeseburger mixture. In a large, nonstick skillet, add the bacon. Fry over medium-low heat until crispy. Transfer the bacon to a plate that has been lined with a paper towel and pour out most of the bacon grease from the skillet. Place it back on the stove, and increase the heat to medium. Add the beef to the pan and cook until brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Decrease the heat to low, and add most of the bacon (reserving about 2 tablespoons for garnish) diced tomatoes, ketchup, yellow mustard, cheddar cheese, and salt and black pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted. Cover and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter for the white cheddar cheese sauce over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute or until golden. Continuing to whisk, add the milk. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until just slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the white cheddar cheese until melted. Season with a pinch of cayenne pepper and salt and black pepper to taste. Cover and keep warm until you are ready to serve.
- Preheat your Big Green Egg® to 425 degrees F, and add your hot dogs to the grill. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until charred and warm. Remove from heat.
- Assemble your bacon cheeseburger hot dogs, by placing each hot dog on Cobblestone Bread Co.™ Spud Dog. Top with the cheeseburger mixture and spoon the cheese sauce on top. Drizzle with ketchup and yellow mustard. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and the reserved bacon. Enjoy immediately!