Cool down this summer with these refreshing strawberry ice cream sandwiches. These ice cream sandwiches are not only super elegant, but so fun also!
Happy Monday, everyone! Did you guys have a fab weekend?! I know that we did, and I’m basically devastated that it’s over! We spent most of the weekend gardening and spending time outside. It was absolutely gorgeous. I hope you all found something amazing to do this weekend also!
So anyway, today is a super special day. Not only do I get to share this awesome recipe of strawberry ice cream sandwiches with you, but we are also celebrating! My good friend and fellow blogger Ashley from Spoonful of Flavor is having a baby girl, and we are having a virtual baby shower for her! Yay! Today is a very good day.
First things first, let’s get the boring stuff out the of the way and talk about these strawberry ice cream sandwiches for a second. You guys know that I don’t post sweets very often, and strawberries don’t necessarily have to be in sweet dishes, but I have been wanting to post this recipe for a while, and I thought that because we are celebrating Ashley, this would be a good time to do so!
These ice cream sandwiches are everything I crave in a summer treat. Really, they are the definition of “summer.” Not only are they super refreshing, but the strawberries just pop with bursts of flavor. The crunch from the cookies is the perfect endnote. These ice cream sandwiches are the perfect way to cool down this summer.
One note about this recipe: While I don’t always love to go the store-bought route for desserts such as these, I thought that using a store-bought crispy cookie would work best. It’s not always the easiest task to create the perfect crispy cookie. A lot of trial and error is involved. There are also many great brands of store-bought crispy cookies out there. I found some great ones in the snack and cookie aisle at Whole Foods, and they worked perfectly!
Well, I hope you guys enjoy these strawberry ice cream sandwiches. Strawberry was the theme for Ashley’s virtual baby shower, so make sure you click on some of the additional strawberry-themed recipes below! There are some pretty amazing ones, and in my personal opinion each and every one of them are the perfect ways to celebrate Ashley!
I hope you guys have a wonderful week! xo
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake with Coconut Whipped Cream from Hip Foodie Mom
Strawberry Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies from Beyond Frosting
Strawberry Layer Cake from Life, Love and Sugar
Coconut Raspberry Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting from Blahnik Baker
Spice Rubbed Cedar Plank Salmon with Strawberry Salsa from Joyful Healthy East
Strawberry Balsamic Crostini with Whipped Ricotta from Recipe Runner
Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cooking and Beer
Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches
Servings:6 sandwiches (plus 2 pints of ice cream)
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- pulp from one vanilla bean
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pint strawberries diced
- 12 large thin and crispy cookies of choice (store-bought)
- Combine the vanilla bean pulp and the sweetened condensed milk in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer and then add the whole milk and heavy cream. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes and then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs yolks until they are light in color. Slowly add in the sugar and whisk to combine. At this point, the mixture should be on the thicker side. Now slowly temper the vanilla/cream mixture into the egg mixture by adding 1/2 cup of the vanilla/cream mixture at a time. Once about half of the vanilla/cream mixture is tempered in, you can transfer the egg mixture into the saucepan with the remaining vanilla/cream mixture. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and pour into a container. Allow for the mixture to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes. and then cover and refrigerate for 2 - 4 hours.
- At this point, make sure you have done all of the necessary preparations for your ice cream machine (for example, make sure the container has been frozen and everything is ready to go). Now pour the mixture into your prepared ice cream machine and process per your manufacturer's instructions. This should take about 25-30 minutes depending on your ice cream maker.
- Taking your now churned ice cream, transfer to a freezer safe container. Gently fold in the diced strawberries.
- Using a large scoop, spoon the ice cream onto 6 of the cookies. Top with another cookie and press down gently. Place each cookie sandwich into a freezer-safe bag and freeze for at least an hour before enjoying.
- For the remaining ice cream, cover the freezer safe container with an airtight lid and freeze until the ice cream has reached the frozen consistency you desire. You may eat the ice cream without putting it straight into the freezer, but it will be more like soft-serve. The ice cream will keep in the freezer for a couple of weeks to a month.