I thought I’d take a little break from breakfast today and share a game day favorite. Well actually, it’s more like TWO game day favorites. I mean it is Saturday after all. The playoffs are in full swing, and we’ve got to keep the die-hard fans fed! Buffalo chicken wings are a classic game day snack…I mean obviously, right? I remember hearing last year about what food sells the most in January due to the Superbowl, and I think wings were a close second after avocados. Or maybe it was the other way around. Either way, guacamole and chicken wings are game day favorites. I thought I’d pay tribute to chicken wings today by throwing them into another game day favorite: nachos! Buffalo chicken nachos with blue cheese sauce: I’m pretty sure those are the most glorious 7 words I’ve ever heard.
So, I think I have accepted that the holidays are officially over.
I mean, it’s kind of a good thing. It’s time to more forward, onto bigger and better things like focusing on resolutions, ATTEMPTING to run when it’s been a balmy -10 degrees F every day for the past week, scrubbing down the house, leaving the Christmas decorations up for at least another two weeks… but probably longer than that, let’s be honest with ourselves.
What I love most about “moving forward,” are the new recipes that are currently floating across the internet. It’s actually kind of funny when you really think about it. Everyone is focused on one of two different types of food: super healthy clean food and rich and fatty, horrible for you game day grub. Could there be a bigger gap between the two!? I will say this, it makes creating new recipes so much fun this time of year!
So these buffalo chicken nachos with blue cheese sauce are super easy, especially if you make the chicken ahead of time.
We eat A LOT of chicken. I mean A LOT. I honestly make about 3-4 pounds of chicken breast a week (probably more than that), and if I had to cook it everyday, I would probably go crazy. Throw it in the slow cooker over the weekend with a teensy bit of chicken broth and a dash of salt and black pepper. Cook until it falls apart, shred and store in the fridge. Then you have chicken for the week! It is perfect on salads, in omelets and on these buffalo chicken nachos of course!
Topped with a glorious blue cheese sauce, these buffalo chicken nachos are the perfect party food and I’m sure your guests will love the spin on classic chicken wings! Recipe and beer pairing are below! Have a great weekend everyone! xo
Buffalo Chicken Nachos with Blue Cheese Sauce
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 cups blue corn tortilla chips
- sliced green onions for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with foil. Spray with a non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Stir in the hot sauce and then add the chicken breast. Toss to coat and then remove from heat. Set aside.
- In another large saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until no clumps remain and the sauce has thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Turn the heat to low, and stir in 1/2 cup of the blue cheese crumbles and Monterey Jack cheese, continuing to stir until the cheese has melted. It is ok if a few blue cheese crumbles remain in tact. Remove from heat.
- Add half of the blue corn tortilla chips to the baking sheet and then top with half of the cheese sauce, half of the chicken and 2 tablespoons of the remaining blue cheese crumbles. Repeat this step once more, ending with the remaining 2 tablespoons of blue cheese crumbles.
- Place in the oven and bake until cheese is melty, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with green onions.
- Enjoy immediately.